Omega released eight new models during Baselworld 2016. While we take photos of those stunning novelties, we focused on our favourite model OMEGA Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph Master Chronometer certified Master Chronometer and is powered by a new in-house movement.
The Speedmaster has a solid reputation for being the watch that was worn on the Moon. Considering this iconic status, a moonphase is the perfect complication that can be added to the legendary timepiece. During the life span of the collection,
Omega has made several Speedmaster chronographs with a moonphase complication, featuring the Caliber 866 movement which is a Lemania Caliber 861 base with moonphase calendar complication. Now the brand adds a completely new movement Calibre 9904 for the current moon phase Speedmaster version. The in-house movement is made up of 368 components. It is both a Master Co-Axial and a Chronometer, hence the METAS certification as a Master Chronometer.
I have to admit, OMEGA Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph Master Chronometer is clearly one of the best Speedmaster timepieces I have seen so far. First of all, the blue color employed is perfect.
The blue ceramic bezel with liquid metal tachymeter and a sun-brushed blue dial accompanied with a cleverly located red accents provides an excellent combination of elegance and sporty character. The blue theme is completed with a blue leather strap, offered with a fold over clasp.
Unlike earlier Speedmaster Moonphase watches which had the moonphase indicator at 12 o’clock position, the new model replaces the date window at 6 o’clock.
Undoubtedly, the cooles feature of the moonphase complication is the foot print of Buzz Aldrin placed on the Moon figure which is based on a high-resolution photograph provided by NASA. Well, you obviously need a magnifier to see the foot print but it is there.
Around the moonphase indicator, there is a zero to 29.5 scale representing the number of days in a lunar month. In fact, this is a formidable time period to cope for a conventional gear train but, the new Speedmaster Moonphase will need adjustment only after 10 years thanks to its brilliantly designed movement.
The blue color leather strap feels comfortable on the wrist and it surely completes the blue look nicely.
Now, I am sure about a couple of things about the Speedmaster design;
- The watch looks far better with a bi-compax lay out instead of a tri-compax form.
- Extra high sapphire crystal with a slight dome is a perfect form for the Speedmaster especially considering the resemblance achieved with the first model in 1957.
I liked the watch a lot. It’s a beautiful member of the legendary Speedmaster Collection featuring a beautiful blue tone theme, a successful in-house movement and arguably the most appealing complication ever; the moonphase indicator. If you are interested about what you see here, I strongly suggest to have a look at the watch in flesh. You probably end up walking out of the store wearing your new OMEGA Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph Master Chronometer.
– Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer Calibre 9904
– Watch officially certified by METAS
– Self-winding in both directions
– Jewels: 54
– Frequency: 28’800 A/h (4 Hz)
– Power reserve: 60 hours
Exclusive features with
o Magnetic resistant 15’000 Gauss
o Omega column wheel chronograph mechanism
o Moonphase indication
o Date via hand indication
o Silicon “Si14” balance spring
o Omega free sprung-balance
o Co-Axial Escapement, 3 levels
o 2 barrels mounted in series
Special luxury finish
o Rhodium-plated rotor and bridges
o Geneva waves in arabesque
o Blackened screws, barrels and balance wheel
– Central hour-minute hands, small-seconds and date hand at 9H, Moonphase indication at 6H
– Central chronograph seconds hand, 60-minute and 12-hour recorder at 3H
– Case: Stainless steel case with blue ceramic [ZrO2] ring
– Strap: leather
– Clasp: stainless steel
– Diameter : 44.25 mm Height : 16.85 mm
– Water resistant up to : 10 bar (100 m/330 ft)
– Polished-brushed case
– Polished ceramic bezel ring with brushed Liquidmetal® tachymeter scale
– Polished crown and pushers, Ω embossed
– Box-form scratch-resistant sapphire crystals:
o Bezel-side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides
o Caseback-side: bevelled, anti-reflective treatment inside
– Polished screw-in caseback engraved with “100 m/330 ft”, “Liquidmetal®” and “Moonphase”
– Blue sun-brushed dial, polished rhodium-plated indexes
– “Speedmaster” and date n°”1″ in red; white Super-LumiNova (green emission) on indexes and 2 dots at 12H
– Subdials enhanced by rhodium-plated circles
– Diamond-polished rhodium-plated hands,
– Central chrono seconds and date hand with red tip
– White Super-Luminova (green emission) on H-M-chrono seconds handMOONPHASE
– Metalized mineral crystal disc microstrctured to obtain a high detailed moon that reveals an astronaut’s footprint
– Blue leather strap, on brushed-polished foldover clasp
– Fitting : 21 mm between lugs, 18mm on clasp
– 4-year warranty
– Delivered with a Master Chronometer certification card, ensuring that the watch has passed the tests certified by METAS