alexa 161927-9001 | Lunar One | L.U.C. | Chopard | Baselworld 2017 | Review | Horobox

Min. Read

Chopard L.U.C. Lunar One Ref. 161927-9001


Being one of the complication models within the L.U.C. series, Lunar One is presented in a platinum case at Baselworld 2017 with a limited run of 100 units and a brilliant blue dial.

We left another Baselworld behind. During the exhibition, we had the opportunity to see the new models of mechanical watchmaking in person which will be talked about during the year and start to be seen on the wrists of watch aficionados in a couple of months.

The time we spent at the Chopard booth this year was truly memorable for us. The video interview with Jacques Bernard "Jacky" Ickx, who was considered to be one of the century’s most successful motor sport pilots on the press day of the show, was one of the most exciting moments in my Horobox career. We then had a chance to review the new models during our visit to the brand’s exhibition booth.

One of them is the new version of the L.U.C. Lunar, which has been in the collection of Chopard since 2005.

When we look at the new model, the first thing to notice is the blue dial that stands in harmony with the platinum case. The blue tone of the sunray dial looks pretty integrated with the slightly darker, natural gray color of the platinum case. It would not be wrong to say that the blue dials are very popular nowadays. Many brands from every segment of the industry are racing each other to highlight their new models with blue dials.


Although Lunar One is a complicated watch with a perpetual calendar function, it was suitable for everyday use with 18K white or red gold cases. But, can it still be a daily rocker with its platinum case which makes it heavier than its gold versions due to the specific weight of platinum?

As many would know, platinum is a chemical element whose symbol is Pt and whose atomic number is 78. At the same time, it is one of the valuable materials used in the field of jewelry and watchmaking. On the back cover of Lunar One, you will notice the Pt950 sign. This indicates that the material used is 95% pure. The remaining 5% can be composed of different alloys in order to obtain different results.

In general, platinum timepieces are the highest priced models of the brands. Although it is similar in price to gold as raw material, platinum is difficult to process and used in a more pure way (18K gold is 75% pure).

I kept wearing the Lunar One during the entire presentation. I had the opportunity to inspect it about an hour. The diameter of the case is 43mm and the thickness is 11.47 mm. Like the case, the winding crown is made of platinum as well. Lunar One is certainly not a small watch but it’s still pretty comfortable on the wrist unlike other platinum case watches. In fact, I felt more comfortable than many solid gold watches that I have tried.


Personally, the most eye catching detail through the case is how bright and matte surfaces are used together in such harmony. This application, which Chopard has done perfectly with Lunar One, gives the watch a classic and sporting look at the same time especially if the brushing is applied vertically as in Lunar One.

Chopard has also made a serious effort to ensure maximum visibility on the dial. Perpetual Calendar the dial lay out is of great importance for Perpetual Calendar timepieces. If there is a big date display and a moon phase indicator, the work gets harder. Chopard chose Roman numerals instead of batons for indexes in the limited model.


The other detail that stands out in the dial is the moon phase indicator. It is possible to see the stars of the Northern hemisphere with the deep blue tone. The indicator, which only deviates by a day in 122 years, is more like an art piece created by the talented hands of Chopard watchmakers.


The visual feast continues when we flip the watch. I do not know what it means to you when I say Caliber 96.13-L, but if you look at the photo, you will see a movement with details crafted by utmost care and skill. Caliber 96.13-L is a self-winding movement which is rarity for Perpetual Calendar models. Thanks to the micro-rotor made of 22K solid gold, the movement can wind itself efficiently to provide the 65-hour power reserve. The L.U.C logo and Guilloche processes make the rotor even more aesthetically pleasing. The movement, which also carries the Hallmark of Geneva, was completely developed and manufactured by Chopard.


When we talked about a model from a brand like Chopard with a perpetual calendar complication and a limited run of only 100 units, I though the price tag would read 6 digits but when I heard the 69.000,00 CHF list price, I started the fund calculation in order to add this timepiece to my collection.


Chopard L.U.C. For the Lunar One platinum should definitely be considered by the watch enthusiasts who are searching through its segment.

Similar Reviews